Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wontons!

Yes, I am back! I was actually always here but been too busy to post entries. Recently I looked at the traffic on my blog and was so inspired by how much visits I have had DESPITE my absence that I figured its time to add new food!

Recently I've been experimenting with new foods and cuisines. You'll find new Chinese recipes, some Middle Eastern dishes, variations with lamb, and since its Summer time, BBQ!

So lets hit it off with Wontons! These are not usually found in Chinese restaurants back home. Even if they are on the menu we usually stay away from it - I have no idea why. They are super delicious!



I took my big step when I purchased a pack of Wonton wraps from the local grocery store. You'll find them in the refrigerated isle, probably next to the Tofu. Don't confuse them with the Dumpling wraps. Wonton sheets are square shaped and Dumplings come in circles.

For the stuffing:

- 1 lb boneless chicken, cubed (or minced)
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and chunked
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt to taste (a little less than 1/2 tsp should suffice)
- pinch pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion

Mix all ingredients except the onions. Using a food processor blend everything well so the chicken is minced and the ginger is crushed. Then add the onions and mix with spoon.








To prepare the Wontons, take a sheet of Wonton wrap and moisten it with some water. Fill each wrap with 1 tbspn of the Chicken filling. To fold the Wonton, first fold one corner over the other to make it look like a triangle. You can fold the Wontons in two ways: pinch together all three sides of the triangle to make it look like a ball, or pinch together the longer ends of the triangle to make it look like a sailor's hat.







To cook the Wontons drop each piece in boiling water. They are cooked when the Wontons are floating on the top. Drain and place in serving bowl. I added some noodles to my Wonton soup too so I boiled some Egg Noodles and added those to the serving dish too.




For the soup:

- 5 cups prepared chicken broth
- 2 inches ginger, sliced thinly (you can add more if you like)
- 5 green chillies, slit open
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots

Cook all of these together till carrots are tender-crisp. Do not over cook, carrots should not be limp. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour over the wontons and garnish with parsley is optional.


The dish pictured on top is when I made the same recipe but had more noodles and very little soup. So it wasn't really Wonton soup, but Wonton Noodles. I added more vegetables (carrots and snap peas) and made Sailor-Hat shaped Wontons.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Z, i couldnt find the wonton wraps (looked in the frozen food section). Could i use spring roll wraps instead?

    ReplyDelete