Sunday, April 4, 2010

Masala Chicken

I've got so bored of the standard Chicken Salan that I had to come up with something new to make with bone-in chicken. So one day when all I had left in my freezer stock were Curry-cut chicken pieces I decided to marinate that like Chicken Tikka and cook it like salan - Most Yummy it turned out! Of course it had no name (not that I know of) so I call it Masala Chicken.



Marinate the (1/2 kg) chicken in Yogurt (1/4 c) with ground roasted cumin and coriander seeds (1 heaped tbsp each). Mix in the spices according to taste (Turmeric, Salt, Pepper, Cayenne or Red Pepper, Garam Masala). I just use approx 1/2 tsp of each. Add 3 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 tablespoon of crushed ginger. (Its always easy to use the cheese grater for garlic and ginger when you have such small quantities). Add juice of half a lemon (the big ones) - 2 tbsp approx and mix well so all the pieces are well coated.

Leave the marinade for at least an hour.

Saute some onions (1 small) till browned and add the chicken along with all the sauce. 



Cook on med-high for a few minutes and toss the chicken regularly. Cover with lid and reduce the heat to med-low. Cook with lid on for another 5 mins. Meanwhile chop 1/4 cup of green onions and one medium tomato. Add to the mixture and cook till meat is tender. For this dish I try and cook the chicken without the lid so it stays on the dry side. If you want it to have some more gravy you can leave the lid on longer.

Enjoy with Roti or Rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment