Saturday, June 25, 2011

Homemade Rainbow Cake!

Every year Ebrahim's school hosts an Annual Family Picnic to celebrate the onset of Summer. Parents generously bring in contributions to complement the BBQ, and I'm the mom who brings the cake!

It had to be something that was relevant to the occasion and interesting for the children too. So after a tediously long discussion with my 4 year old we decided to make a Rainbow Cake.


   

I used two batches of the yellow cake that I use for Boston Creme Cake. And for the filling I used the Boston Creme filling, fruits, and whipped cream flavored with Icing Sugar and Vanilla.



I split the cake batter into four, colored each batch with a different color, and baked separately for 10-12 minutes until done. I kept one layer (orange one) slightly thicker than the others to use it as a base. You could split the batter into as many layers you want depending on how many colors you want.

 

Once the cake and boston creme were cooled, I whipped up some cream with some icing sugar and vanilla. With the thickest layer first, I used some pineapple reserve (from the canned pineapple chunks) to moisten the cake, topped with boston cream, bananas and whipped cream. To keep the base clean I tucked in strips of parchment paper below the first layer to catch any drops of icing.






For the second layer I did the same but used pineapples instead.



And for the third filling I used strawberries.




Then I let the cake set in the fridge, covered, overnight.




The next day I whipped up another batch of whipped cream and colored it sky blue. To coat the cake I roughly spread out the cream using a regular spatula.




Then using a frosting spatula I smoothed it out to cover the entire cake.



For a finer finish I used a strip of parchment paper and lightly ran it across the sides  to smooth out uneven parts.




While the frosting cooled in the frige, I whipped up some more cream, colored it green, and piped out the borders. With a plain pointed tip I wrote "Summer 2011". We had a tiny accident as Ebrahim couldn't control his limbs around the cake so there was a small dent right below the "S" in the Summer. Nobody noticed it much, and after all, I had a 4 year old for an apprentice :o)



I put the cake back in the fridge and whipped up some white and yellow icing for the clouds and sun.





The kids were super excited to see the cake and even more surprised when it was cut open to reveal the rainbow stripes!




It didn't take long for the cake to disappear. Luckily one of the teachers had saved some portions for us separately!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!!! u better get busy in the kitchen wen u get here!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet I will! Holiday is the best time to cook-away while Ebrahim is busy with his cousins!

    ReplyDelete